Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hair affair



So you know those days, when your spouse is gone on deployment, you think to yourself: "Self, I need a new look. You know, one that screams 'I AM AN AMAZING WOMAN' or some crazy statement like that?"
 
Well, today was one of those days.
 
Here's what I looked like before:
 
 
Horns growing out of my head, red eyes and silver talons. Some say I was possessed and that I scared small children. I knew I needed to do SOMETHING (and thanks to my special friend for taking this very flattering photo of me)
 
I figured since I'm a natural demon, I can't very well change my red eyes or my penchant for scaring small children, but I CAN change my hair color.
 
Could one could call that hair color above as a "dishwater blonde with evil lowlights"?
 
I needed a change. But since I have two small children, no daycare and low on funds, I did what any sane woman would do (and without her husband around to stop her).

I went to Sally's beauty supply and bought a very large tub of hair bleach. Hurried home and mixed up the evil concoction in my cauldron.

But my reserved self said "wait.. let's not do anything CRAZY without at least testing it first." So, I did a test strip- a RACING STRIPE. If I was going to mess up, at least I wanted to make it look intentional.


I checked every 5 minutes or so until I figured it was drastic enough.
This is how it came out when it was washed and dried.

So, I walked around for a day like that to see how I liked the color (or lack thereof) and started to have a little pep in my step.
 
That next night- I did my whole head.
 
After shampoo, I was left with glowing blonde locks of dripping sunshine.

 
Of course, this wasn't enough for me. Many years ago I was a yellowhead (that's what I call this shade) and had nightmares of Big Bird teaching me how to count.
 
I needed to tone it down a notch.... WITH PURPLE!!!!

 
Don't worry, it doesn't stay purple. Toner just counteracts the yellow. You know that color wheel you learned in science or art class? No? Well, don't blame you. But at least SOMETHING I learned in school relates to the real world (EAT YOUR HEART OUT TRIGONOMETRY!)
 
This was the result:


WOOHOOO! I made it! I look like I successfully entered the Witness Protection Program!
I had a new head of hair that made me feel like a million bucks.

Hold on, let me take a selfie.


Demon was EXORCISED!
 
wait- CAR SELFIE!
 

Blondes do have more fun and in the great words of my favorite platinum blonde singer:

This SH!T is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s...

Take that military lifestyle- I kicked you in the balls! I saved money by doing it myself WHILE watching my kids since my husband is gone. 

  Cuz I ain't no HOLLA BACK GIRL, ain't no hollar back girl!!!....

 
 
 
 
 
 
 





(For those of you wanting to know what I used and for how long: know that I'm not a professional stylist or cosmetologist- obviously, so I claim ZERO (nada) responsibility if you follow my method)

Hair length:
Wella ColorCharm powder lightener (bleach)
30 volume developer
left on for 45 minutes

Roots:
Wella colorcharm powder lightener (bleach)
20 volume developer
left on for 15 minutes

Toner:
Wella ColorCharm T-18  with 20vol developer 1:2 ratio
Applied to towel dried hair, Left in for 4 minutes
(it started turning my bleach blonde hair a silver/gray color so I then applied the Wella ColorCharm T-11 over it for 6 minutes. I think I'll stick with T-11 from now on.)

Shampoo:
Schwarzkopf Bonacure Color Save Silver Shampoo
(this purple shampoo is actually making my hair whiter the more I use it as it's taking more and more of the yellow out. SCORE! I only shampoo about twice a week)

Conditioner:
Deep Condition weekly

And say it with me: youtube is our FRIEND!

1 comment:

  1. It is a nice thing that during deployments you make yourself busy on doing things you like. Love the hair by the way.

    military spouse

    ReplyDelete